STAMPING SUPPLIES FOR SALE

Monday, August 4, 2008

Diaper Cakes and Cupcakes...

So a few friends and I decided to throw our girlfriend a baby shower before leaving NY. Since we are all military spouses, we needed something fast and efficient because we were all getting ready to PCS. I knew I couldn't leave town without throwing my dear friend, Brooke, a sweet and delicious shower. The girls and I decided to keep it a secret, only letting her hubby know the date and drop off time. So we picked Little Cupcake in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn as the spot. If your ever in the area, you'll have to stop by! Not only are the cupcakes piled high with buttercream frosting, but the cheesecakes are superb!

I wanted something else to go with the gift cards I had purchased, so a diaper cake was in order! Now, you can make these diaper cakes several different ways, I just prefer to cover mine with fabric. This also helps when you have the diapers with with printed designs and you don't want them to show. We didn't know the sex of the baby, so I decided not to go too froo-froo and chose the colors more for Brooke than baby. The fabric is from one of my favorite designers, Micheal Miller, in a dark sage and chocolate. I form the diaper stacks first and then wrap the fabric on tight. When you get to the connecting ends, just adhere a strong double stick tape and overlap the ends. I usually take a large flower(with stem) down the center, but this time decided, for transport, it'd just be easier to keep the layers separate.I absolutely love how well the center flower turned out. I originally started with some big chipboard letters that spelled out BABY, but they just weren't working for me, so I opted for the ribbon. The ribbon is offray sage and SU! Choco. Chip. The two colors combos look very rich together! To adhere the ribbon, I cut several 12 inch strips(of both colors) of ribbon, stacked them together and then brought them to the center. Once I had all the ribbon ends in the center, I took a pin needle and stuck it down into a paper stump. The paper stumpe worked well, just cut off one end point and push it down into the center of your top cake layer. The flower is Prima and the antique brad is from Making Memories.Now your all ready to go! I just slipped the gift cards(target baby and a spa gift card) in the bottom and was on my way. If your interested in directions, I have a tutorial available! Just send me a quick email: madscrapper24@yahoo.com with "diaper cake tutorial" in the subject line!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Glass said...

Cute Cute cute Dawn! O Iam so happy you are posting again! I have missed you!!!! HUGS,Elizabeth

dolores said...

I love the diaper cake, can you please send me the instructions, I'm always doing baby showers for my friend and I know they will love this.

Thank you for sharing.