Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Glitter...So Much Glitter!

What's a Mom to do for a little girl who's just GOT to have red glitter shoes for her Dorothy costume, yet you KNOW full well you will not find a pair her size?! Well, once again we 'make-do'! We searched high and low for the REAL Dorothy shoes but when I saw my 6 year old prancing around in her Old Navy RED flip flops, I knew I could work some Mommy ingenuity and make good use of that over sized bottle of red Martha Stewart glitter I bought years ago! Yes, YOUR crafty/hoarding side can totally relate to me here, right? We gathered our supplies and headed out on the balcony.
VOILA! The E6000 provided ample and smooth adhesive coverage and the glitter went on smoothly. I did let them dry overnight and washed down the excess glitter in the sink. There were no issues with glitter rubbing off or shedding...SCORE! She ran around all day with these on and they stayed PERFECT!
My posse! This is a daytime party with Daddy's work and boy was it HOT!
There's just something pretty awesome about 'aircraft trick or treating', right? This was such a special treat for the kids and they hopped from plane to plane, and then back again for a second round. These are the planes my hubby started out on when he first joined the MC. They are old REALLY old and these are headed for the scrap yard and being replaced with new, more modern aircraft. Fun and bittersweet day for sure!
Happy Halloween!

Friday, October 26, 2012

Making Do With What I've Got...

Living abroad now, I really have to 'make-do' with the supplies I've got on hand. Case in point, I REALLY needed black glitter paper for my Halloween banner...what's a crafty girl to do?! My sweet SU! lady(HEY, Susan!) recommended a few options and since I have a few sheets of the SU! silver glitter paper the 'inking' option is what I chose! This can get a little messy, so have plenty of wipes or moist towelettes on hand for clean-up! The lighting is terrible in the first pic, but follow along you'll see the difference in color tones.
I used a sponge tip and Hybrid Palette Ink for this project. I'd probably stay clear of regular ink dies as it's not going to stick to the glitter paper as well and probably just smear right off. Here you can see the BIG difference between what I started with and how it turned out after I applied the ink. Now, you won't get a super dark black, but more of a vintage black which I think is just as fitting for Halloween. You will still get a great twinkle/sparkle even through the ink.
Here are all my letters(cut with the Cricut)and as you can see it does get messy, but just have a scrap paper pad when inking because you will go off the edges. I'm really pleased with how well the ink took and I would definitely try it again. Just a little advice if you're impatient(like me!)be sure to break out your embossing heat gun and do a quick pass-over to 'set' the ink.
Happy Crafting!  Dawn ;)

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Stamp Organizing Filing System...

Ack, achoo, achoo! This blog sure has acquired a large amount of dust in my posting absence! So much so it took an Act of God, my sister, to help me 'hack' back into my account. Blogger support is great, but when it only comes in Japanese, it's not much help now, is it? Anyhoo, after about an hour on the phone and setting and re-setting passwords, I'm back in business!!! I plan to do a post about our journey to Japan, but that has quite a few more pics and time that I will share at a later date ;) While I've had plenty of downtime to catch up and re-organize after the move, I really wanted a simple way to get my stamps cataloged so I'm not having to pull out each individual CD case to see what stamps were where! VOILA!!
I went through all of my stamps by manufacturer. No rhyme or reason, other than I just wanted to keep them together by brand. I saved the stamp images directly from each respective website. Once all my images were gathered, I printed them with the 4x6 option so I could get 4 per page.
With the stamps sets where I only had a few, like these Tim Holtz, I just used the image guide from the stamp set and copied it on  my printer.
Nice and organized!  After all was said and done, I realized I wanted to add one more thing!  I'm now going to go back and add a colored doton the spines for those sets that have matching dies. I won't even share my die drawer, it's screaming to be cleaned!!  When we packed up i just threw everything in my plastic storage bins even it if shouldn't have been! I just wanted to protect everything from damage in the long trip over! 
Yes, life is easier with just this one simple change!  I flip through my binder for images, see the coordinating number, then go over to pull out exactly what I need!